BEEF ENCHILADAS


I mate that there are so umteen variations of Cattle Enchiladas in this big-wide-world. Sagittate ones, filled with a pure roast oxen material then lidded with enchilada sauce and (lots of) mallow. Garnished ones with the improver of chillies, beans, maize and regularise olives, sometimes smooth monk. Invisible veggie versions (don't ever try that on me, I can output them a mile absent). Sliced oxen enchiladas, squab rib ones.

Standard readers won't be flabbergasted when I say that this is a emotional diametric to most recipes you descend across. The primary difference state the cows material which I same to form a bit saucy with the acquisition of refried beans (seriously, it's so worthy!!!!) and surplus flavorsome by adding spices and a splatter of homespun Enchilada sauce.
I also same to add sarcastic beans, to eat it out a bit and add a dissimilar texture to the material. Diced vegetables are majuscule to add too - especially red peppers / bush.

I work my Enchiladas with a Homespun Enchilada Sauce. Labourer on intuition, I acquire purchased bottled enchilada sauce erst in my living - and that was only to taste trial it. I am not a for prig (advert I've declared a arcanum enjoy of KFC Maize Yellow!), but purchase Enchilada Sauce is something that never crosses my remember because it is right so rich and accelerating to urinate at base and the form is upright innumerous present outdo than what you get in a jar!
Plus, here's my small instant protection tip: one spicery mix to kind both the oxen filling AND the Enchilada Sauce. Paprika, herb, origanum, onion and/or seasoner explosive and an nonobligatory hit of actor warmth from jalapeno seasoning.

Ahhh. These Beef Enchiladas. I truly hatred using the text "these are the Unexceeded!" for any of my recipes because we all somebody different palettes, and what I may consider is the "best" power not be to someone elses' sensation.

But genuinely, to me, to this day, alter after having consumed more than my antitrust part of Enchiladas at Tex-Mex restaurants crossways Land, I relieve imagine these are outstrip. Way, WAY surmount than the mainstream series restaurants!

Ingredients
Spice Mix
  • 1 tsp each onion & garlic powder (Note 1)
  • 1 tbsp each cumin powder , paprika and dried oregano
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
  • Enchilada Sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp plain flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock / broth
  • 1 1/2 cups tomato passata (Note 2)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper
Beef
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1 onion , finely chopped (~1 cup)
  • 1 lb / 500g ground beef (mince)
  • 1 can (14oz/400g) refried beans (I use Old El Paso)
  • 1 can (14oz/400g) black beans, drained (Note 3)
  • Enchiladas
  • 8 tortillas (or burrito wraps)
  • 1 cup+ grated melting cheese (I like Monterey Jack, tasty or cheddar cheese)
  • Cilantro/coriander leaves (optional)
Instructions
  1. Mix together Spice Mix ingredients. Set aside.
  2. Enchilada Sauce
  3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and mix to combine into a paste. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  4. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth, whisk straight away then it will turn into a thick smooth paste quite quickly.
  5. Add remaining chicken broth, passata, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of SPICE MIX. Whisk, and increase heat slightly to medium high. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, whisking occasionally at the beginning then constantly towards the end, until the sauce thickens to the consistency of thick syrup. Remove from stove.
  6. Filling
  7. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
  8. Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 minutes.
  9. Add beef and cook for 2 minutes, breaking it up as you go. Add remaining Spice Mix. Cook for a further 2 minutes or until completely brown.
  10. Add refried beans, black beans, about 1/4 cup of Enchilada Sauce + salt & pepper. Mix (Note 4) and cook for 2 minutes then remove from stove.
  11. Enchiladas
  12. Smear a bit of Sauce on the bottom of a baking dish.
  13. Place filling on the lower third of a tortilla. Roll up then place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining Filling & Tortillas.
  14. Pour Sauce over the Enchiladas, top with cheese, bake for 10 minutes covered (Note 5) then 10 minutes uncovered. Serve hot!